Friday, September 5, 2008

Skype = VOIP

That's Voice Over Internet Protocol for short, which means using internet data for transmitting voice, so you can make phone calls over your internet connection. The benefit is that it can be much cheaper than traditional ISDN phone calls.

I've installed Skype now, and am trying to work out whether I did have an account once from way back when it started. I don't think I ever used it for a phone call, I mean, in those days, who would you call? Now it is well known and used by people everywhere to keep in touch with friends and families spread over the globe.

I've just got back in touch with an old friend overseas who I know uses Skype, so I will have to try it out soon.

My work installed a VOIP network last year and it works very well. One big benefit is that we don't have to run separate networking for voice and data any more, we just run ethernet for data and if we need a phone it just plugs into any data port. The phones have a pass through for the computer connection so we just need the one wall outlet for a worker's phone and computer.

No comments: