Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Venturing into MySpace

Yet another social networking phenomenon that I never really bothered with. Having been online for so long now the novelty has worn off, so while I use it to keep in touch it is usually just email. These newer networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook are more recent, and with a family keeping me busy I don't need to seek out new friends online.

I've become rather more aware of it since it became a novel self-promotion vehicle for bands and artists. Suddenly previously unknown artists were getting the attention of record labels based solely on their online presence. It is possible that MySpace has already peaked and people are moving on to the next big thing, perhaps Facebook is now more popular. I do find the page layouts rather untidy and poorly-designed, but I suspect that may be intentional, to give it a grungy, non-corporate feel designed to appeal to the youth market.

I created a page, still trying to think of a unique URL (the page link name) since my preferred name is already taken. It's probably not something I will spend much time on. When I joined, I immediately had two 'friends' link to my page, but they appear to be automatically added for any new users, part of the community. I knew my friend's band had a myspace page so have linked that. My main interest in MySpace at this time is looking at it for ideas for an online service I'm thinking about.

No comments: